Chocolate-Cherry Smoothie with Whipped Coconut Cream (gluten free & vegan)
12 unsweetened coconut milk (or nut milk of choice)
1 cup frozen cherries
2 tablespoons raw CACAO powder (not cocoa powder!)
1/2 cup plain coconut milk yogurt, I use So Delicious (or other non-dairy milk of choice)
1-2 teaspoons maple syrup or to taste (if you use sweetened nut milk you’ll want to cut back on this)
For Whipped “cream”
1 can unsweetened coconut milk, chilled overnight (see note below)
1-2 teaspoons maple syrup
Optional garnish: Grated dark chocolate
- Place the coconut milk, frozen cherries, cacao, yogurt and maple syrup into blender and blend until well combined and smooth. Pour into serving glass.
- Open the chilled can of coconut milk gently, don’t shake it or turn it over. Remove the top of the can and spoon out the thick cream into a mixing bowl, reserve the liquidy coconut water for another use (like the Protein Power Smoothie!). Whip or whisk the cream until thickened, adding your sweetener of choice.
- Spoon a dollop of coconut cream on top of your smoothie, and garnish with grated dark chocolate if desired.
- You’re using two different types of coconut milk in this recipe. For the smoothie you want the coconut milk in the carton, So Delicious is the brand I like. For the whipped “cream” you want canned coconut milk available in the Asian foods aisle.
- You must use the full-fat coconut milk for the whipped cream, the “lite” stuff won’t cut it.
- Don’t skip the chilling over night, the cream won’t whip up properly if it’s not chilled so that the thick “cream” separates from the water. I just store my cans in the fridge so I don’t have to remember this step in advance!
- You can substitute for the maple syrup- agave, raw honey (honey is not vegan), coconut palm sugar, etc