Oh how I love me some hummus! It's the perfect afternoon snack with veggie sticks or chips, or eaten by the spoonful- yes, guilty! Hummus also makes a great spread on sandwiches or wraps, replacing the less healthy mayo, and giving your dish an added boost of fiber and protein.
Spinach and White Bean Hummus
1 15 oz can of chickpeas (Eden Organics is an excellent brand, and their cans are BPA free)
1 15 oz can of cannellini beans (ditto above)
1-3 cloves garlic, depending how much you love the garlic (I use 4!)
3-4 cups baby spinach
1/2 cup fresh parsley
1/4-1/2 cup olive oil (depending on the texture you like)
salt & pepper to taste
- Combine beans, garlic, spinach and parsley in the bowl of a food processor. Cover with the lid, turn on the machine and pour the oil through the feed tube until the desired consistency is achieved.
- Season with salt and pepper, process a bit more, taste, and adjust salt & pepper as desired.
- Garnish with pepitas, if desired, and serve with veggies, bean chips, etc.
- Hummus keeps for 1 week in the refrigerator.
- You can do a million variations on hummus- change up the herbs, add different beans, toss in some roasted sweet potato or avocado, use a flavored oil such as avocado or walnut, etc.
- Hummus is not only a delicious and healthy dip, but also a fantastic spread on sandwiches and wraps.
- Beans are rich in protein and fiber, help regulate blood sugar, and promote colon health.